« Home | Neve and Gliz Again » | Have a good weekend. » | Possible Essay Question » | Distraction of the day » | Distraction of the day » | 128 » | As the big day approaches.. » | Putting things into perspective » | Well, duh... » | MBE madness »

Time to hear the bad news (optional)

IF YOU ARE EASILY SWAYED BY BAD NEWS, DONT READ THIS

With the bar exam around the corner, I thought it may help to disseminate the bad news for anyone taking it. I don't mean to cause unnecessary worry, but I think now is a good time to think about the consequences of failing so that they can be dealt with before the big day.

First, because most of the examinees are repeaters, it is a "credible rumor" (it's the best way I can put it) that the February Bar Exam will have a lower grading curve. This means that if you fail, you will have to study harder for July. For repeaters, if you got a close score (1400-1439) in July and if you put in the same quality next week, it is very likely that YOU WILL PASS in May. But whether you are a first timer or repeater, BE PREPARED because it's not going to get any easier.

Second, if this is your second time taking the test, you may have student loan issues. For many students, their grace period has either run out, or will run out. Since most people can ask for a forbearance or deferral, this may not be a big deal, but it is a pain in the butt to deal with, especially at an inconvenient time like this.

Third, based on the California State Bar's statisitics, repeaters have anywhere from a 10-50% chance of passing on the next try. While these numbers are not good, they don't take into account past scores, and personal experiences. So if you feel that you adequately prepared, then this statistic may not apply to you.

Fourth, the big news in 2007: more subjects in the exam. I don't remember the details about this one and Im not going to try to remember now. While this may make the exam harder, think about it this way: at least you will know at least one (or two) of the essay questions. I strongly hope that the State Bar will include some of these topics before 2007 as PT questions so that we can get our feet wet.

Finally, and I think most importantly, it is really depressing knowing that you didn't make it. And it is even worse knowing that you didn't make it again. I'm not a psychologist so I don't have any advice on dealing with this. But no doubt this is the biggest bummer.

Once again, I hope that everyone taking the exam has at least considered the possibility of not passing and have made contingency plans to deal with this.

One of my friends suggested that you work a full time job between March and May and save all of your earnings. If you fail, you will use that money to enroll in the best bar review program you can afford. If you pass, you will use that money to take a vacation in Europe.

About me

  • I'm Steven
  • I'm PASSED the bar exam!!
  • Next up, the CPA exam.
  • I need a life.
  • Email me

Recent visitors

Powered by Blogger