« Home | Now what? » | The one day hump » | Bar Exam Rehab » | Do I think I'll pass? » | Casualties of Bar - Part 2 » | I MADE IT!!!!!!!!!! » | Done! » | Pre-epilogue epilogue » | Random Insomnia » | Everyone is lazy. »

CPA exam? GMAT?

Here's a long post to make up for the lack of recent posts:

First of all, I emptied out my desk today and now it looks like this:



I'll figure out a suitable arrangement hopefully by the end of the week.











I considered studying for the CPA exam. I bought this book to get an idea of what the test is all about:


On first glance, there is a lot more material covered on the CPA exam. While I knew that the exam was divided into four separate parts, I didn't know that each "part" had several sub-parts.

Based on what this book covers, I am certain I will have to take a review class. I am praying that my employer will pay for the review course. I know most of the bigger CPA firms do this for their entry level associates.

But to be honest, I am reluctant to make a serious effort into studying until I pass the bar exam. While I feel good about the results, I just want to take things one test at a time, especially considering that the tests will affect my future career in...um...something business-like...I guess...

So what are my other options?

I could study for this test:


That's right. B-school. The good thing about this test is that it is more abstract and is more geared towards understanding logic and reading comprehension (and the math section). There isn't much memorization required.

Once again, the question is whether I should take a prep class. I took a prep course for the LSAT (law school admissions test) and it did not help much. But then again, was I a different person back then?

I should point out that I am now sick of school. Since I already have one advanced degree, and one more on the way, the MBA may only be marginally useful to me. So long ago I decided that I will only apply to B-school if my GMAT score is in the 85th percentile (around 620-640) or better. Other than my expectations, I know little about the exam and it will take some time before I am fully informed about the exam.

I visited some of the other bar exam bloggers over the last few days. A number of them forgot about their blog after the bar exam. I'm guessing I won't see another post from them until days before the results - if I don't hear from them again, I assume they didn't get the good news. Others have posted regularly again and have returned to the real world. Some have even found jobs pretty quickly, which is commendable.

But the ones I follow on a regular basis are the repeaters, for obvious reasons. Unfortunately, most of them seem resigned to the fact that they have failed again. In general, their posts describe how they messed up on one essay question and complained about how the MBE's were harder than they thought. If any of them are reading this, I say this: be honest. If you think you passed, then just say so. Almost all of them are writing anonymously so I really don't see the point in beating around the bush about it. But I suppose for a few people insecurity knows no bounds (and they want to be attorneys?)

I see my whiny attitude is kicking in, which means that I should go to sleep soon. BTW, a smoking issue came up. I should write about it soon.

About me

  • I'm Steven
  • I'm PASSED the bar exam!!
  • Next up, the CPA exam.
  • I need a life.
  • Email me

Recent visitors

Powered by Blogger